About Me

My photo
I am practically no one, am not anyone whose existence or non existence would affect the course of our society, culture, life, policies, conduct, etc. Still I do have my opinions on all of these issues. In crisp and to be precise...I am just a commoner!! Read on... if you are interested

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

LUCK + NOW

The city that is my home for this 2 months is called Nawabo ka shehar. The place has very rich historical background..with many imambaras, thats what I have heard coz firstly my time n secondly the scorching sun(which evaporates every wish to explore the city) hasnt permitted me to investigate the truth. As you have already got till now(and if you havnt got it still, ask behenji) I am residing in the capital of UP. Its christined LUCKNOW(LAKHNOU, pronounced in hindi) who knows why but I know one thing for sure that the LUCK of having a single drop of rain has deserted it atleast for NOW!!!



Yeah.........its 2 hot........bohot garmi hai........khub gorom ekhane........bohut gorom iyat......



You must have got the idea what the mercury meter must be showing and the sun is showing no mercy. As it wasnt enough, here comes the "BREAKING NEWS"(as our pathetic news channel calls every piece of news even if it is a week old news)-->>

The new project requires this commoner to explore the city in search of some data( as bedouins search 4 water)!
Newaz...enough of weather report..coming to people, people here still have hearts( which is one thing that has become very scarce in people of many other places), they are very helpful and caring, very well spoken(commonly used word for addressing is "aap")...jus think of a guy giving 10rs to a handicap begger or a shopkeeper coming out of his shop to show directions to an unknown or our landlord aunty giving us chole bhature or tea or sometimes watermelon or nimbu pani(wen i had a stomach upset)!
This is the first time my LUCK brought me here. Peeping back in the past I can recall only one incident which untill NOW(when m here physically) was my closest encounter with the city:
Flashback- Baba is going on an official tour to Lucknow, before leaving maa said- "Dont forget to bring the Lucknow chicken!"
AFTER THE TOUR-----
Even before Baba entered our door, my voice asked- "where is the chicken?"
(and then to my utter disappointment and after such a long wait, I was told that Lucknow Chikan was a specific type of famous fibre material...n maa had asked baba to bring a Lucknow Chikan saree)
The huge bill-boards of LUCKNOW chikan still tease me and remind me of the incident! That is the connection I have with the city!
Roads are OK. The whole city can be easily bifurcated into 2 distinguishing parts, one that is comparitively newly developed...is planned and well maintained and the other part is the old LUCKNOW which has the familiar scenes of any other old city of India. The newer part has an area called Gomti-Nagar(as River Gomti, a tributary of the Ganges, flows through the city) which has many sectors called "khands"(parts).....n the funny part is that every khand starts with V. U have Virat khand, Vishal Khand, Vinay Khand, Vipul Khand, Viram Khand, Vibhuti Khand, Vibhav Khand, Vikas Khand, Vishesh Khand, Vineet Khand...and the list goes on...(For naming a new "khand" they should conduct a competition, i suggest!) while the older part of the city has areas ending mostly with"bagh" as Charbagh(railway station), Alibagh, Aishbagh.....
Well, this is the knowledge that my modest IQ has of the place till now......

Still a month 2 go.....so maybe will learn more n will write more...
UFFFFFFFFFFFFF its tooo hot and for the time being, cant write anymore!
Well frnz....
I am sitting in the room surrounded by modern gadgets which strived to make human life more luxurious(most of which were fools' imagination not long ago when me, baba, maa, dadu and amma all used to sit in front of our antique TV to watch the RAMAYANA on sundays). I am under the ceiling fan rotating at its fullest speed, have a cooler plugged in... which is serving cool air, have a TV showing the IPL2 extravaganza and hundreds of channels to select from, have a thing called mobile to talk to anyone anytime from anywhere, my lap is occupied by my lappy which is giving access to the net world...still m complaining!
coz humans can never be satisfied.........n neither can I as m jus a common human being!!
:)

2 comments: